We've suffered a great loss - RIP Don Sklepowich

A place to post memorials and RIP comments

Topic Author
Northwood
Forest Pioneer
Forest Pioneer

We've suffered a great loss - RIP Don Sklepowich

Postby Northwood » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:18 am

Some of you may have heard me make reference to my studio partner from the 1980's and continuing friend, Don (was known as digitalDon here on the Forest, an occasional visitor).

This evening, I tried to reach him at his workplace, we often chat when I am making the drive home from the day job, he works evenings. They said he did not call in or show up for work, both highly unusual. Now his mother has been in a convalescent home for 2 months now, and I made the assumption that he was probably dealing with a related emergency or even that she might have passed. (age 91)

I then called a mutual friend Anne (Soundchick here at the Forest), , she had not heard from him,we both started to worry. I called the landlord, also a friend, at the site where Don's studio is, and he had not seen him since the previous day. He said if we could not locate him to call him back, however Anne decided to head over there anyway, as she lives near there. They knocked and received no answer, so they went in with the pass key. Poor Don, was laying deceased on his kitchenette floor, cause of death unknown so far, but an aneurism is suspected - according to the paramedics.

Don's only next of kin aside from his somewhat confused mother is his brother in Washington, who's number was only found hours later by the police. I attended the scene and the landlord and Anne referred me to liaise with the police and coroner, we did finally reach his brother. They removed his body much later, the building contains many rehearsal studios too, so lots of people paid tribute to his departure. It was a moment I will never forget, nor will they.

Most of you don't know of Don, he was a drummer and percussionist,I guarantee you would have all liked him, a solid audio engineer and media archivist.

I am utterly and totally gutted, he was 55, like me. He was healthy, loved his life, and our whole family loved him, Mrs. Northwood, grandkids and all. I have lost a chunk of my life. Fek, we just spoke yesterday evening and he was fine....

I write this in homage to him.

DonFieldRecorder.JPG

Rest in peace oh my brother, rest in peace.

:outahr:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rongoodman
On the edge of the Forest, looking in

Re: We've suffered a great loss

Postby rongoodman » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:26 am

Don will be missed by us in ways words cant say, so many memories of our youth thru grade school to adult life, we never grow up just our bodies get older. he is and was a good friend, brother from a different mother...love u brother ...sleep...dream....

LogMan
Forest Pioneer
Forest Pioneer

Postby LogMan » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:28 am

Excuse me for copying what I wrote at the Village .

Geez that's horrible to hear Robin, I am so sorry to hear about it even though I didn't know him.

Like you say, 55 is way too young but an aneurism can happen to anyone :(

Please accept my condolences and I will be thinking of him when Karen & I have to play at a dear friend's funeral on Sunday ( she was 87 but we knew her for years )

NickC
Forest Pioneer
Forest Pioneer

Postby NickC » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:06 pm

I just read this terrible news over at the Village.

This is saddening news indeed.

Please accept my condolences, and extend to your family and to Don's family and friends. :(

Topic Author
Northwood
Forest Pioneer
Forest Pioneer

Postby Northwood » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:54 pm

Thanks guys.

Topic Author
Northwood
Forest Pioneer
Forest Pioneer

Postby Northwood » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:17 pm

Topic Author
Northwood
Forest Pioneer
Forest Pioneer

Postby Northwood » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:51 am

Hi everyone,

I have made a start to creating a web gallery for pictures of Don. This is a work in progress and I plan to add many more pictures over the next few weeks. Also planned is a video compilation, that will take more time to prepare.

Please see http://northwoodmediaworks.com/don

There are also links from the main site page http://northwoodmediaworks.com

I have emailed this to a variety of people. Please feel free to pass the link along to anyone who knew Don and wishes to view or leave comments. You do not have to leave your email address to make comments, so if you feel like saying a few words about a particular picture in the gallery, that will enrich the experience for others. Also, if you have some pictures you'd like to contribute, then send me an email and we can arrange that.

We will miss our friend greatly, pictures can help extend the memories. ;oldfekr

Topic Author
Northwood
Forest Pioneer
Forest Pioneer

Postby Northwood » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:53 am

waldorf
Senior Forester
Senior Forester

Postby waldorf » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:31 pm

My condolences Robin.... way too young.

Topic Author
Northwood
Forest Pioneer
Forest Pioneer

Postby Northwood » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:29 pm

Just added some more pictures to the gallery... Don had many strengths, his sense of humour was awesome. ;respect ;thumbup; :prai:

magnus
Forest Friend
Forest Friend

Postby magnus » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:26 pm

Sympathies are well in order. RIP
M A G N U S

numnutz
Forest Pioneer
Forest Pioneer

Postby numnutz » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:31 am

RIP brother Don ... rest in peace.

SteveFogal
In the Forest Canopy
In the Forest Canopy

Postby SteveFogal » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:21 am

Sorry for your loss, I know what it feels like to lose a very close, long-time friend :(

Topic Author
Northwood
Forest Pioneer
Forest Pioneer

Postby Northwood » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:09 pm

Just a little update for anyone using the Forest to find information on Don, I reworked the image gallery which I've been hosting since his passing, and updated the memorial site I created also.

See http://northwoodmediaworks.com/memorial

Its been 10 months, time flies, waits for nobody.

Topic Author
Northwood
Forest Pioneer
Forest Pioneer

Re: We've suffered a great loss - RIP Don Sklepowich

Postby Northwood » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:03 am

LogMan
Forest Pioneer
Forest Pioneer

Postby LogMan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:44 am

3 years already, hard to believe :(

Reminds me of a friend who is currently in the hospital one floor below Karen's Mom, he suffered an aneurism too 6 yrs ago, but luckily he made it to the hospital in time.
Was a long road to recovery ( had to learn to speak again ) and seemed to be fine, but I guess he had a seizure and he made it in time to the hospital again.
Have known him for over 45 yrs, his brother was my best man at my wedding.
He seems to be recovering quicker this time and I was actually thinking of your friend Don when I saw my friend last week.

Hope you don't mind me interjecting with my tale, but it seemed very relevant to me.

Thinking of you and your friend Don today, RIP Don.... :(

Topic Author
Northwood
Forest Pioneer
Forest Pioneer

Postby Northwood » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:50 am

Thanks Paul.... yes, quite a paralell story. I think as we age we lose our friend pool gradully, but in Don's case, I could say he was my second best friend (the first one is my Julia). So thats a real clunk on the head so to speak.

I figure he's still around, things happen that remind me of his antics often, that seems too coincidental.

He might have pulled the plug on those servers this morning too, just for shits and giggles :lol:

waldorf
Senior Forester
Senior Forester

Postby waldorf » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:22 pm

:shock:

Three years. ;headbob; Hope he's rocking on in the afterlife

Return to “Forest Memorials”